Master Thesis – Full Time – Munich (Forschungszentrum Garching)
We want to Enable economical quantum tech products for disruptive applications and accelerate the second quantum revolution and the world´s transition to sustainable quantum technologies.
Your task will be to work on optimizing the deposition process of our superconducting material, which is the most important ingredient of our superconducting detector. Your responsibilities will include the process development, fabrication and characterization of the films using various methods such as the superconducting phase transition, magneto-transport measurements or the crystalline structure to make our sensors even more sensitive! Additionally, you will correlate your findings with real detectors and measure the sensitivity, efficiency and timing properties of these devices. As the superconductor is the main ingredient for our single-photon detectors, your work will be of imense importance for our start-up. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, independent thinker, and interested in Quantum Technolgies. This position is full-time and needs to be based at the campus in Garching.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- You will learn how to use the sputtering machine as well as the different analysis methods to determine the different film parameters at room temperature as well as at low temperature
- You will then finetune the deposition process to further improve our sensor by acquiring information about the film properties and associate these to detectors performance
- Besides many others, you will get insides into Sputtering, XRR, XRD, magneto-transport measurements, XPS, RIE, MLA, Ellipsometer, Reflectometer, … at both room temperature and and cryogenic temperatures
We value a creative mindset and a go-getter attitude. Hard skills can always be learned. Furthermore, some experience in the areas of optics, electronics, programming or cleanroom fabrication will be beneficial but secondary to your personal motivation and commitment to this fascinating project. We are searching for someone with:
- Background in Physics, Applied Physics, Nanoscience or similar.
- Understanding of quantum sensors and technologies
- Knowledge about superconductivity and nanoscale devices
- Cleanroom experience
- Practical Experience with electrical characterization setups in cryogenic envirnoments
- Strong communication skills: Fluent in English, German is a plus.
- High motivation and commitment
At MQI, you can expect a egalitarian yet high-caliber work environment. You will be part of the MQI team – a talented, international, and open-minded team that is highly motivated to have strong impact in the quantum world – and beyond!
MQI allows you to grow on a professional and personal level.
- You have the opportunity to become part of our mission to enable the next generation of photonic quantum technologies- could a job be any cooler?
- You will to take ownership of your tasks within the project and make impact from the first day on.
- You will be responsible for your own project(s), time management, and sometimes even budget.
- You will gain insights into the most exciting new technologies and business models.
- You will have access to the latest equipment necessary to produce our highly specialized sensors.
- You will always have a great story to tell at parties!
Please contact us @
If you apply: We value well-crafted motivation letters stating how you learned about MQI, why you think you would be a great addition to the team and why you want to work at a Quantum start-up. Please always include references of your prior work (for example, your thesis, talks, papers, code repositories, websites, write-ups, articles, apps, exposes, anything), if permissible. Please avoid detailed grade reports and online certificates. Please also list your earliest starting date.