Master Thesis / Full Time or Working Student / Part Time – Munich (Forschungszentrum Garching)
We want to Enable economical quantum tech products for disruptive applications and accelerate the second quantum revolution and the world´s transition to sustainable quantum technologies.
Your task will be to do work on our brand-new state-of-the-art cryostats that will be the basis for our superconducting detectors. To prepare the cryostats, several steps such as the design of mechanical components, thermalization, protection from thermal radiation, electrical and optical wiring are of great importance. You will work closely with one of our co-founders to further improve the cryostat and learn a lot about low temperature devices. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, independent thinker, and interested in Quantum Technolgies. This position is full-time and needs to be based at the campus in Garching.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Design new components and integrate them into the cryostat
- Take care of the temperature management, which is key for our detectors
- Integrating the electronics needed to operate them and take care of the noise management
- Prepare the cryostat to enable the operation of scalable detectors
We value a creative mindset and a go-getter attitude. Hard skills can always be learned. Good communication skills, the design of mechanical components to upgrade our cryostats, installations of these components, feedthroughs for electrical and optical wires, thermalization and knowledge about electrical noise will be beneficial but secondary to your personal motivation and commitment to this fascinating project. We are searching for someone with:
- Background in Systems, Mechanical or Electrical engineering
- Understanding of quantum sensors and technologies
- Knowledge in CAD, Solidworks and system integration
- Strong communication skills: Fluent in English, German is a plus.
- High motivation and commitment
At MQI, you can expect a egalitarian yet high-caliber work environment. You will be part of the MQI team – a talented, international, and open-minded team that is highly motivated to have strong impact in the quantum world – and beyond!
MQI allows you to grow on a professional and personal level.
- You have the opportunity to become part of our mission to enable the next generation of photonic quantum technologies- could a job be any cooler?
- You will to take ownership of your tasks within the project and make impact from the first day on.
- You will be responsible for your own project(s), time management, and sometimes even budget.
- You will gain insights into the most exciting new technologies and business models.
- You will have access to the latest equipment necessary to produce our highly specialized sensors.
- You will always have a great story to tell at parties!
Please contact us @
If you apply: We value well-crafted motivation letters stating how you learned about MQI, why you think you would be a great addition to the team and why you want to work at a Quantum start-up. Please always include references of your prior work (for example, your thesis, talks, papers, code repositories, websites, write-ups, articles, apps, exposes, anything), if permissible. Please avoid detailed grade reports and online certificates. Please also list your earliest starting date.